Monday, November 14, 2016

Guest Blogger-Christine Schmitt

Guest blogger, Christine Schmitt is a 3rd year Human Science major at Georgetown University in DC. She is originally from Rochester, NY.
After leaving Rochester to go to school in DC, I realized I was leaving behind Java’s at the Market and Canaltown Coffee Roasters, and was sure that no coffee would compare to theirs.  I still firmly believe there isn’t any coffee that compares to a Java’s Aztec Mocha or Canaltown’s Rochester’s Blend. But of course, that hasn’t stopped me from trying to find the best coffee in DC to hold me over until my next Saturday morning at the Public Market.  But if you’re willing to wait in absurd lines for a cup of coffee, the search across DC may be worth it.

Baked and Wired is just a few short blocks from our school. To be fair, I did initially go there because I wanted one of their famous cupcakes (specifically the Chocolate Cupcake of Doom) and not a coffee, but hidden behind their seemingly endless display of cupcakes, cookies,and biscotti is a little espresso bar which offers the perfect beverages go along with their sweets.  Their espresso is from an eclectic mix of roasters around the country including Stumptown (Portland), Intelligentsia (Chicago), PT’s (Topeka) and Elixr (Philadelphia).

After receiving your latte, complete with latte art, from the barista, you’re only a block away form the scenic Georgetown Waterfront.  Bring your latte and cupcake along for a walk down the river to the monuments, Kennedy Center, or the historic Watergate hotel. Or, bring your cozy drink with you in wintertime while skating at the Waterfront Park under the lights.

While I have found some great coffee in DC, nothing will stop me from trekking through the snow on that first Saturday morning I’m home for Christmas to grab a cup of coffee from Java’s.

Baked and Wired Instagram Pic

Fig. 1: Baked and Wired, a student’s perfect study break - you get in some exercise while walking around DC and get to pick up a sweet treat and a coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment